Monday, December 20, 2004

New Beginnings

I think I'm crazy for starting this blog just before returning to work after 12 weeks at home with Maegan, but I think it is important to share our life with family and friends, so many of whom are far away. I hope you'll enjoy reading about the day-to-day events of two new parents and most especially baby Maegan.

I have today and tomorrow left before I head back to work on Wednesday, so I'm trying to maximize everything...time playing with and holding Maegan, relaxation, volume of laundry and dishes completed, etc. It is currently 16 degrees with a zero degree windchill, so I'm content to stay inside and create this blog while Maegan naps. We may venture out tomorrow despite the cold to finish up some last-minute Christmas shopping and to search for a tamale steamer. Matthew and I started a tradition a couple of years ago to make tamales on Christmas day. This is a common Mexican tradition, and since we love Mexican food, we decided to adopt it as our own. I have a pot with a steamer insert that works in a pinch for the 1 1/2 hour steaming, but it isn't quite large enough to work without rigging it up with lots of aluminum foil. A friend gave us directions to a couple of stores in Holland that carry steamers, so I may travel there tomorrow if the weather is good. Otherwise, we'll make due with the old pot.

Since this is supposed to be about Maegan, I should get on topic! She will be 12 weeks old on Wednesday the 29th. She is the cutest baby ever, and we are absolutely in love with her. She has a beautiful smile, which she uses frequently to melt our hearts. Lately, she's learned to "talk" to us and likes to be held in a sitting position so she can see everything that's going on. She's been an easy-going baby from the start and has slept through the night consistently now for about 2 weeks. About a week ago, she mastered the sucking of her left thumb (much to her daddy's delight, as he is a lefty). This has made nap times much more agreeable for everyone, since she no longer cries herself to sleep, since that is impossible with a thumb in your mouth.

Well, I hear her waking up from her nap, so I should go rescue her. More later!

No comments: