Thursday, August 07, 2008

Iowa State Fair

Van & Bonnie, the morning radio hosts on 1040 WHO, were having a "Corn Dog Chomp" this morning to open the fair. If you could get there between 5am and 8:30am, you could get into the fair for free (a $10 value!) and be part of their world record for the most people eating a corn dog at the same time. We left home at 7:15, and a trip that would normally take about 15 minutes took over TWO HOURS! They had over 15,000 people actually make it through the gates before 8:30, and I'm sure there were thousands more of us on the freeway backed up for miles. Anyway, after the long trip in, we enjoyed our time at the fair. Here are a few pictures from our morning.

They had a great building all set up with baby animals and mama animals ready to give birth. There were eggs hatching and calves so new they could hardly stand up. Maegan got to hold this piglet.
This statue was just outside the food vendor we visited for lunch. We had a great tenderloin sandwich and Maegan enjoyed petting this pig and rubbing the farmer's belly.
Maegan wanted to ride the sky ride from the moment she saw it. She had no fear of being up there at all. I, on the other hand, kept my arm securely around her waist the whole time and tried not to think about falling out.
The kids and I enjoyed having Denise along. This picture was taken shortly after we finished our GLAZED funnel cake. Yes, GLAZED! I didn't know they had such a thing. When the woman asked me if I wanted powdered sugar or glaze, my heart skipped a beat. It was so delicious, I didn't even mind dripping glaze all over my pants.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I love your daughter for wanting to ride the Sky Glider. She's an adventurous little one!