I've been using the
Hands on Homeschooling 3 year old preschool curriculum with Maegan. Our 4th bedroom up in the attic was empty, so we turned it into a school room with a couple of cool old desks I found on
Craig's List. They're really heavy steel and the lids open up with storage inside. As you can see from the pictures, the walls up there are all decorated with children's characters. The walls need to be repainted badly, but I can't bring myself to paint over Clifford and the gang just yet. Maegan and I have both really enjoyed the curriculum, which is organized so that we focus on one letter of the alphabet each week, have a Bible story and craft, a cooking lesson, a physical activity (like jumping or throwing bean bags), and a monthly Bible memory verse. Every detail is planned out for me; I just have to gather materials and guide Maegan through the lessons. I'm amazed at how much she's picked up since we started, and I think she's better at memorizing the verses than I am!
We get together once a week with our friend Susie and her daughter, Sami, who is Maegan's age. Susie takes one month of Wednesday lessons and I take the next month, so some of the teaching load is shared. It makes it more fun to do the crafts together and there's a bit more energy in the room when there is more than one preschooler! (And it doesn't hurt that Susie used to be a teacher!)
Here's Maegan on her first day of school, March 3rd. She's standing in front of the door to the attic bedroom. She tells everyone about having school upstairs.

Here's Maegan in her desk on the first day. I have no idea what is so funny! You can just see Big Bird's foot on the right and a turtle's leg on the left. I think he's from a book, but I'm not familiar with it, so I don't know his name.

Maegan's a lefty. Here she's practicing writing letters with straight lines using a clear dry erase board.

This is what the front of the classroom looks like. The black rectangle on the left is a bulletin board covered in felt. We have yellow stars with velcro on the back and numbers 1-20 on the front. The chart next to the window shows the alphabet.

Here's an example of a "cooking" project. We made a sandwich face. Mmmm... alfalfa sprout hair...
1 comment:
Very IMpressive Mom!
Post a Comment