Thursday, June 05, 2008

Bean Soup, Corn Bread & Turnip Greens

Southern food, anyone? The bean soup and cornbread are recipes I've used many times, but I had never tasted turnip greens before. We were all a little apprehensive about them, but Mom (who is here from Phoenix), Matthew and I all actually enjoyed them. They are are an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin B6, folate, copper, calcium, and dietary fiber, and may help with rheumatoid arthritis, colorectal cancer and atherosclerosis. Again, sounds like something we should eat more of...even if they are cooked in bacon grease. :)

Southern Style Turnip Greens
Boil greens in salted water for 10 minutes. Drain.
Saute some onion and garlic in a bit of bacon grease. Add the boiled greens and a bit of water. Cook up to 30 minutes. Add plenty of salt to taste.
(Recipe compiled from several I found online.)

Bean Soup
  • 1 lb. fully cooked smoked ring sausage, cubed
  • 1/2 c. onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 c. carrots, chopped
  • 1 c. potatoes, cubed
  • 1 48oz. jar Great Northern beans (or just cook some dried ones like I did this time)
  • salt and pepper to taste
Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in dutch oven. Add carrots, potatoes and enough water (or chicken broth) to almost cover. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add beans and sausage and simmer up to 1 hour.

Corn Bread
1 c. flour
1 c. cornmeal
3 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 c. milk
1 egg
2 Tbsp melted butter
1/2 tsp. salt

Combine all and pour into greased 9x9 pan. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 min.

No comments: